Metal Storm logo
Nightwish - Vocalist Leaves Stage In Belo Horizonte (UPDATED)

Original news, posted on 12.11.2008

Nightwish were forced to cut Monday night's (November 10) concert in Belo Horizone, Brazil short after the group's lead singer Anette Olzon suddenly started "crying" at the end of the song "The Poet And The Pendulum" (about six tracks into the group's set) and walked off stage, leaving the rest of the band to finish the song with bassist/vocalist Marco Hietala attempting to handle some of the lead-vocal parts. The group reportedly played two more cover songs and ended the show, explaining that Anette is going through a difficult phase in her life, and that she was really sad.

Fan-filmed video footage of Olzon walking off can be viewed here and here.

But, in the meantime, Anette Olzon sent a press release to Brazilian media where she clearified the reasons behind her sudden "collapse" which caused her to leave the stage in the middle of the Nightwish show in Belo Horizonte, Brazil on November 10th 2008.

Olzon stated that the smoke on stage got on her vocal chords to make her lose her voice. She was trying to sing until she reached the point she couldn't do it anymore and therefore was "forced" to leave the stage.

Nightwish has always had a very good and close relation to their fans in Brazil and the thought of disappointing the fans was too great for Anette. The band tried to buy some time for Anette to regain her voice back but it didn't. Nightwish ended up playing 2 more songs after Anette left the stage but were forced to stop the show after that.

After the show, people stayed in the venue to get some kind of explanation to what happened. After a while, promoter Eric de Haas from Dynamo Productions came on stage to tell the fans that the concert was over and Nightwish was already back on their hotel.

It is reported that the next show Nightwish did the next day in the capital of Brazil (Brasilia) went well and the band also included the song "The Poet And The Pendulum" on their setlist.

UPDATED

As posted on Blabbermouth, Nightwish mainman/keyboardist Tuomas Holopainen said the following, speaking to webzine O Povo Online about the incident: "[Anette] freaked out because she couldn't handle the different mannerisms of the fans here. There were a lot of people screaming the former vocalist's name, making obscene gestures (with the middle finger). Normally she can shake that stuff off, she has good self-esteem, but it's been hard to deal with the fans and the critics. I guess it was a sudden breakdown; she just... lost her mind for a second. It's kind of scary, and we all feel for her and understand what she is going through. We hope she can put her mind at ease and make the rest of the shows. So far it's been fine; she's feeling much better."

Tarja Turunen got fired from Nightwish in October 2005. In May 2007, the band officially announced the addition of their new vocalist, Anette Olzon.

Source: metalfromfinland.com
Band profile: Nightwish
Posted: 16.11.2008 by Lupas

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 125   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 762 users
13.11.2008 - 00:42
=maD.Doc:.
Melodeath Master
That's some boring shit =/ But you really can here in the clip were you hear her sing a bit that the voice isn't as usual =/ I feel sorry for Anette, the band and all the fans over in Brazil! Cheers to you!
13.11.2008 - 00:46
BlankFile
Now that´s unusual... But it happens.
13.11.2008 - 00:46
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite

But seriously, get out of the smoke already if it bothers you and your vocal cords that much, instead of just getting yourself smoked out. I feel kinda bad for Marco Hietala on that second video, though, fruitlessly trying to save the day.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
13.11.2008 - 00:53
wrathchild
Staff
"and the band the song "The Poet And The Pendulum" on their setlist."

And the band WHAT? kept? removed?
As for the story in itself, I feel very bad for the fans who had to hear that "they're already back to their hotel"...
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
13.11.2008 - 00:57
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
This was f*cked up, she really must have big problems
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
13.11.2008 - 01:07
Stigmatized
It's OK Annette, you're still better than Tarja.
13.11.2008 - 01:10
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
But seriously, just running offstage and off to the hotel isn't exactly the way of the gentleman. The other members could still talk right? So why not at least tell the fans what happened in person? That I call a fail. Marco didn't really say anything but that they have to cut it and that he respects his fans.
----
13.11.2008 - 01:17
Symmachus
That sucks about Anette had to go off the stage because of that smoke. I won't hold that against her.
13.11.2008 - 01:19
Hamird
Lieutenant
That stage would be heaven for Chris Barnes ...Free smoke
13.11.2008 - 01:38
Symmachus
I saw the videos now. Marco did the best he could to preserve the concert.
13.11.2008 - 01:59
BrightNight
Fucked up.....well shit hapens. But its not very professional. Tarja was more of performer anyway, if you ask me.
----
"So you children of the world, listen to what I say
If you want a better place to live in spread the words today
Show the world that love is still alive you must be brave
Or you children of today are Children of the Grave."
13.11.2008 - 02:02
iaberis
Advice Troll
Come on, the smoke and shit... she just sucks!
----
Bitch! Please
13.11.2008 - 02:39
GodlessOne
She must have huge problems I went to their show in baltimore with sonata artica and they didnt play at all marco said she flew back to finland.
----
Sometimes I stay awake waiting for somthing and realize its time to rest..., - Chase Srozinski
13.11.2008 - 02:39
Demon Heart
What a mess, i feel really sorry for the brazilian fans, i'm so glad that i am not in their shoes, anyway , that was't good for proffesional, we should have known Tarja is much better than any other femail metal vocalist.
----
It's a black cloud over head
That's me
And the poison ivy chokes the tree
Again it's me
13.11.2008 - 02:48
Zenzero
Zenzero
If she did it she must have a good reason, i don't care what kind of reason! but i hope nightwish will make another show for all the people there were there! hold on anette, you're as good as tarja!
13.11.2008 - 03:52
Hrothdane
Written by Demon Heart on 13.11.2008 at 02:39

What a mess, i feel really sorry for the brazilian fans, i'm so glad that i am not in their shoes, anyway , that was't good for proffesional, we should have known Tarja is much better than any other femail metal vocalist.

That people are taking Anette's personal problems and using them as venom for the tired, meaningless comparison of her and Tarja disgusts me. The gall of some people...
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
13.11.2008 - 04:04
Demon Heart
Written by Hrothdane on 13.11.2008 at 03:52

That people are taking Anette's personal problems and using them as venom for the tired, meaningless comparison of her and Tarja disgusts me. The gall of some people...

We can't ever escape from the realities, there is no "meaningless comparison ", they acted in a same band boath, so it is not meaningless.
----
It's a black cloud over head
That's me
And the poison ivy chokes the tree
Again it's me
13.11.2008 - 04:28
Hrothdane
Written by Demon Heart on 13.11.2008 at 04:04

Written by Hrothdane on 13.11.2008 at 03:52

We can't ever escape from the realities, there is no "meaningless comparison ", they acted in a same band boath, so it is not meaningless.

It IS meaningless when you have nothing to add to the discussion. Plus, you are using Anette's personal problems as a weapon against her, which is BEYOND bad taste. If you have problems with her singing style, fine. If you don't like her stage presence, fine. You can discuss such things in a meaningful, thoughtful way or not at all. Goodness knows that we could go to any nightwish fan area on the internet and find people going "OMGANETTEISNTTARJAIHATEHER."
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
13.11.2008 - 05:27
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Is the crowd creaming "I hate you!" when she walked off the stage?? lol
13.11.2008 - 05:41
skrätte
I Hate You
I also feel that the tiring comparisons between Tarja and Anette are out of place here. It was old after the first week Anette was with the band.

I like them both. They are both good singers. Anette will find her place and grow with the band. I like Nightwish as a whole.. and if the band had kept Tarja just to take the easy way out, there might not be a Nightwish, today.

That said, whatever Anette's reasons were for leaving the stage, it couldn't have been an easy choice. And it certainly must have been tough on the rest of the band to try to make sense of, and recover from, her sudden departure. They're still an awesome band. Shit happens.
----
13.11.2008 - 05:46
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Sucks for the people who paid for those tickets. I sense upcoming drama. maybe they'll pick another mediocre singer (then again, just about EVERY female singer sounds generic compared to Tarja, no?)
13.11.2008 - 06:17
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Good thing that didn't happen with they were in Montreal...the stage would've been rushed...
13.11.2008 - 06:26
selken
Irreligious
Written by Paradox0 on 13.11.2008 at 05:46

Sucks for the people who paid for those tickets. I sense upcoming drama. maybe they'll pick another mediocre singer (then again, just about EVERY female singer sounds generic compared to Tarja, no?)

Angela Gossow?
----
13.11.2008 - 06:27
selken
Irreligious
Written by skrätte on 13.11.2008 at 05:41

I also feel that the tiring comparisons between Tarja and Anette are out of place here.

+1

Here and everywhere. Metal was made up from guitars, not from operatic voices....
----
13.11.2008 - 07:02
DoomGuard
Written by selken on 13.11.2008 at 06:27

I also feel that the tiring comparisons between Tarja and Anette are out of place here.

+1

Here and everywhere. Metal was made up from guitars, not from operatic voices....

Yea because operatic voices had nothing to do with it, it was all guitars *cough*Maiden*cough*
13.11.2008 - 08:37
Princ_Of_Horror
Hmmm..smoke and vocal cords..hmmm..
Please tell me, how this makes sense, on the concert it was stated she was sad and bla bla bla..and now for the press there is some other drama story about smoke and her vocal cords, it does happen tho..seriously..its not like it was her first gig that she had to sing with "smoke"..and why are the storys so different.. I mean "hard time in life" and "smoke chocking me" yeah they have soooo much in common..I think she is just starting to realise she isnt all that loved.. LOL!

Not to talk about them just saying after who knows how long of waiting "they are already back at the hotel" unprofessional from both the band and the bloody management.

Just my thoughts about it, so DONT BOTHER hammering me
13.11.2008 - 08:42
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Hmm i guess she tried and couldn't do it.
Can't hold it against her or the band. It must be pretty crazy to suddenly be thrown into their routine and fame.
The end part of 'Poet..' sounded nice with Marco singing.. A whole NW album with him singing could be cool.

Better fly in Amanda Somerville really quickly....
13.11.2008 - 08:43
Shadowcross
The Summoner
And please update with more news on this thank you
13.11.2008 - 08:45
skrätte
I Hate You
Written by DoomGuard on 13.11.2008 at 07:02

Written by selken on 13.11.2008 at 06:27

+1

Yea because operatic voices had nothing to do with it, it was all guitars *cough*Maiden*cough*

Just putting in my two cents about the operatic vocals. While I enjoy the +1 from selken.. I have to mention, aside from Bruce Dickinson, the vocal stylings of King Diamond and Rob Halford. Some of those operatic vocalists are what gave metal its edge.

I should also mention Freddie Mercury. Oh.. and definitely Chris Cornell. While he may not be classically trained (not sure if he is or not), the man has a 4-octave vocal range that most singers can't touch.

That aside.. metal needs its opera. It doesn't have to saturate it, but it definitely needs the spice.
----
13.11.2008 - 09:01
Where is tarja?

Hits total: 26076 | This month: 57