Metal Storm logo
Nightwish - Vocalist Leaves Stage In Belo Horizonte (UPDATED)

Original news, posted on 12.11.2008

Nightwish were forced to cut Monday night's (November 10) concert in Belo Horizone, Brazil short after the group's lead singer Anette Olzon suddenly started "crying" at the end of the song "The Poet And The Pendulum" (about six tracks into the group's set) and walked off stage, leaving the rest of the band to finish the song with bassist/vocalist Marco Hietala attempting to handle some of the lead-vocal parts. The group reportedly played two more cover songs and ended the show, explaining that Anette is going through a difficult phase in her life, and that she was really sad.

Fan-filmed video footage of Olzon walking off can be viewed here and here.

But, in the meantime, Anette Olzon sent a press release to Brazilian media where she clearified the reasons behind her sudden "collapse" which caused her to leave the stage in the middle of the Nightwish show in Belo Horizonte, Brazil on November 10th 2008.

Olzon stated that the smoke on stage got on her vocal chords to make her lose her voice. She was trying to sing until she reached the point she couldn't do it anymore and therefore was "forced" to leave the stage.

Nightwish has always had a very good and close relation to their fans in Brazil and the thought of disappointing the fans was too great for Anette. The band tried to buy some time for Anette to regain her voice back but it didn't. Nightwish ended up playing 2 more songs after Anette left the stage but were forced to stop the show after that.

After the show, people stayed in the venue to get some kind of explanation to what happened. After a while, promoter Eric de Haas from Dynamo Productions came on stage to tell the fans that the concert was over and Nightwish was already back on their hotel.

It is reported that the next show Nightwish did the next day in the capital of Brazil (Brasilia) went well and the band also included the song "The Poet And The Pendulum" on their setlist.

UPDATED

As posted on Blabbermouth, Nightwish mainman/keyboardist Tuomas Holopainen said the following, speaking to webzine O Povo Online about the incident: "[Anette] freaked out because she couldn't handle the different mannerisms of the fans here. There were a lot of people screaming the former vocalist's name, making obscene gestures (with the middle finger). Normally she can shake that stuff off, she has good self-esteem, but it's been hard to deal with the fans and the critics. I guess it was a sudden breakdown; she just... lost her mind for a second. It's kind of scary, and we all feel for her and understand what she is going through. We hope she can put her mind at ease and make the rest of the shows. So far it's been fine; she's feeling much better."

Tarja Turunen got fired from Nightwish in October 2005. In May 2007, the band officially announced the addition of their new vocalist, Anette Olzon.

Source: metalfromfinland.com
Band profile: Nightwish
Posted: 16.11.2008 by Lupas

Comments page 3 / 5

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 125   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 762 users
14.11.2008 - 16:42
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Ernotar on 14.11.2008 at 12:53

@ Bad English Let's just remember that Tarja has left the stage during a Nightwish gig too... There were some people smoking marijuana in the front row, so Tarja fainted because of the smoke and had to be taken off the stage... So, yes Tarja WOULD do it.

hahahahahh, people smoking pot in the front row?? i'd be all like "let's light up, motherfuckers!"
14.11.2008 - 19:21
Hyvaarin

There were some people smoking marijuana in the front row, so Tarja fainted because of the smoke

That is HILARIOUS hahahhaaha. I realise that singers are very delicate primadonnas, but seriously...
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
14.11.2008 - 21:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernotar on 14.11.2008 at 15:49

@ Bad English But if we can assume that smoke was also the reason for Anette's leaving, then it wasn't her fault either.

We do not know it, and why Bruce Dickinson or Brian Josmon has not leave stage because of smoke?
IMO Annete highting something hmmm BF left her
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.11.2008 - 00:58
Princ_Of_Horror
Written by Guest on 13.11.2008 at 11:43

How they felt...ashamed!!! Is she a real profesional with this attitude?

a profesional? If she was, she wouldnt act like such a pop princess or another word for acting like a fool on stage.
15.11.2008 - 01:05
Princ_Of_Horror
Written by Daggon on 13.11.2008 at 10:52

Written by Princ_Of_Horror on 13.11.2008 at 08:37

Hmmm..smoke and vocal cords..hmmm..
Please tell me, how this makes sense, on the concert it was stated she was sad and bla bla bla..and now for the press there is some other drama story about smoke and her vocal cords, it does happen tho..seriously..its not like it was her first gig that she had to sing with "smoke"..and why are the storys so different.. I mean "hard time in life" and "smoke chocking me" yeah they have soooo much in common..I think she is just starting to realise she isnt all that loved.. LOL!

Not to talk about them just saying after who knows how long of waiting "they are already back at the hotel" unprofessional from both the band and the bloody management.

Just my thoughts about it, so DONT BOTHER hammering me

I Will Hammer you!!! jajaja just kidding, but hey, you're right "hard time in life" and "smoke chocking me" have too much in common jajaja, checkmate Nightwish!
Also "they are already back at the hotel" is the kind of excuse that makes me want to puke blood jajaja

LOL!! I was expecting someone to get the shits as I always manage to do so
Yeah..And the sample I was listening, well she dosnt seem to be having any problems, yet she started crying out of the blue..hmm, was it really cause of the smoke OR maybe was it someone in the crowed that made her cry haha..
I know the excuse is just LAME..Something is telling me she wont last, and if she does, well think its gonna cause more problems for Nightwish then its worth it. They kicked out Tarja due to their lame reasons, so they may as well get rid of this pop princess for a valid reason
15.11.2008 - 01:13
Princ_Of_Horror
Written by Dark Blood on 14.11.2008 at 02:27

Yeah I agree with Balls of Jericho. Unfortunately I've never seen them with Anette, and from what I've heard she great and I believe it, even if I prefer Tarja's voice. She deserves some credit... it's not everyday you can join a band with such a history, and if you ask me.. she doing an awesome job, so I think she needs our support.

Yep she was doing A greeeeeat job in Sydney.
I give her credit for singing her songs good, she sings them live just as good as on the album. However she should keep clear from the older stuff, eg. Dark Chest of Wonders and Nemo, she officially killed those songs.
Now about her "on stage performance" that was really disgraceful, she was jumping (and I mean jumping) around the stage like a bloody kangaroo..Fair enough, you are in Sydney, tho to jump around like a fool and act like nothing else but a pop teenie-poper thats just sad..
What hit the sadest point of her "on stage performance" was when she came out with a tiara..a tiara..I think I rest my case about Annette.

In regards to touring and bla bla bla..fair enough it must be hard for her, she had big shoes to fill in and Im sure it is hard to tour, lucky the Australian Tour was when they just started touring so yeah..
15.11.2008 - 02:58
selken
Irreligious
Written by DoomGuard on 13.11.2008 at 07:02

Written by selken on 13.11.2008 at 06:27

Written by skrätte on 13.11.2008 at 05:41

I also feel that the tiring comparisons between Tarja and Anette are out of place here.

+1

Here and everywhere. Metal was made up from guitars, not from operatic voices....

Yea because operatic voices had nothing to do with it, it was all guitars *cough*Maiden*cough*

thats not operatic, those are high pitched
----
15.11.2008 - 07:05
DoomGuard
Written by selken on 15.11.2008 at 02:58

I also feel that the tiring comparisons between Tarja and Anette are out of place here.

+1

Here and everywhere. Metal was made up from guitars, not from operatic voices....

Yea because operatic voices had nothing to do with it, it was all guitars *cough*Maiden*cough*

my point stands corrected but firm...lol, guitars weren't alone
15.11.2008 - 07:43
selken
Irreligious
Written by DoomGuard on 15.11.2008 at 07:05

Written by selken on 15.11.2008 at 02:58

+1

my point stands corrected but firm...lol, guitars weren't alone

anyway, wer'e going off topic

what Annete did was wrong, show must go on, thats every artist commandment.
This is an example of real passionate artists

see ya
----
15.11.2008 - 15:04
PM
Hail Lusitânia
I dont really think we should make a big deal out of this...

This shit can happen to anyone... whatever the reason...

CHEERS
PM
----
PM is a pink elephant, and can be found at the bamboo forests of Greenland...
15.11.2008 - 17:56
wrathchild
Staff
Written by GodlessOne on 13.11.2008 at 02:39

She must have huge problems I went to their show in baltimore with sonata artica and they didnt play at all marco said she flew back to finland.

This made me curious and I've just checked the band's official website, to see that lots of shows have indeed been canceled. But I must congratulate Sonata Artica for playing and for the promoters who refunded the tickets (even if SA played). I don't know who's really gonna pay for this mess but well, as someone said, shit happens.
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
16.11.2008 - 01:27
Stigmatized
People can be fucking mean for the dumbest reasons...
16.11.2008 - 01:30
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
Two important and final conclusions to make after the update:

* read the following very carefully: "Tarja Turunen got fired(!) from Nightwish in October 2005." GET. OVER. IT.
* if you wholeheartly dislike the new Nightwish vocalist, that's fine by everyone, but why would you even consider going to their concert then, and ruin the night for everyone?
----
Your favorite band sucks.
16.11.2008 - 02:27
deathovertime
Account deleted
I saw them at Bloodstock as well, and to be quite honest, they were terrible. The only real good point about their set was their pyro, which was pretty spectacular. All in all, I do think Tarja is a better vocalist, but I don't really think that condones screaming out Tarja's name during one of their gigs, because to be perfectly honest that is totally unfair. They're the same old Nightwish, just with a different singer.
16.11.2008 - 03:22
Dark Blood
The Avenger
I'm with Thryce. I myself was (and still am) a Nightwish fan, and I loved Tarja when she was in the band... but it's not a fucking reason to disrespect Anette, and the band! She's doing a great job, and even if I'd thought otherwise I'd just leave them alone. I wouldn't be at their concerts messing with people.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
16.11.2008 - 03:50
Arcesse Eum
All the more reason not to have a girl in your band... or Alexi Laiho. That time of the month can strike anytime.
----
As above, so below.
16.11.2008 - 04:26
Bararey
Winter is Coming
Elite
OK so let me get this straight:

First it was the difficult time in her life excuse
Then it was the smoke excuse
Now it is the crowd excuse

Who cares! The band should focus more on the fact that she just walked off for whatever reason it was, and such action should not be repeated in the future whether it was her any other member. I mean really people paid good money (ticket, transport and hotel if they were travelling) to be there.
----
"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
Ser Jorah Mormont
16.11.2008 - 05:22
opeth771
This is a lack of respect to a woman who is just trying to do her job.

We ALL know Nightwish will never be the same since Tarja left. Yes Nightwish was MUCH better with Tarja, but she was a problem for the band so they fired her. Now, you guys have to live with it. What I don't understand, is why those idiots are going at the shows just to insult the new singer?

Seriously, leave the woman alone!
16.11.2008 - 05:54
Hamird
Lieutenant
OK, if it's true then Brazilian fans were deserved to be hold in venue and see no shows..
They call Tarja, in a concert when Annette is doing the job.
This is not the first time that a band replace a personal for another. But rarely you can see such an act by fans in a concert.
If you don't like someone you are not forced to attend to that concert. It's not logical, that those who call Tarja name go to the show when they didn't like Annette?
I think that was the best thing happened to those fans, you have no respect = you see your money wasted.
16.11.2008 - 07:28
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen

@ Bad English Let's just remember that Tarja has left the stage during a Nightwish gig too... There were some people smoking marijuana in the front row, so Tarja fainted because of the smoke and had to be taken off the stage... So, yes Tarja WOULD do it.

passed out because of bud smoke? lightweight...
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
16.11.2008 - 10:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
band can punish fans for soem time cancfel shows next shows and such thinks, best way how to do it
----

apos;'
[image]
16.11.2008 - 10:43
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by LeChron James on 16.11.2008 at 07:28

passed out because of bud smoke? lightweight...

Or she was just a control freak it actually didn't effect her at all. But about the update, Nightwish seems to be like that desperate dude that shows up every party: he aims for all the chicks with issues. And Anette should be fired, she should have known when she joined a pop band there was without a doubt going to be assholes like me going to their show and trying to ruin their shit (note: notice I said "like" me. As much as I'd like to take credit for it, I would never go to a Nightwish show). So long story short, how the fuck was she unprepared for shit like this? If she can't handle a few asshole fans, then its only a matter of time until the music business rapes her soul and Nightwish will be looking for another vocalist - NOW TAKING BETS!
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
16.11.2008 - 11:35
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Thryce on 16.11.2008 at 01:30

Two important and final conclusions to make after the update:

* read the following very carefully: "Tarja Turunen got fired(!) from Nightwish in October 2005." GET. OVER. IT.
* if you wholeheartly dislike the new Nightwish vocalist, that's fine by everyone, but why would you even consider going to their concert then, and ruin the night for everyone?

Written by Bararey on 16.11.2008 at 04:26

OK so let me get this straight:

First it was the difficult time in her life excuse
Then it was the smoke excuse
Now it is the crowd excuse

Who cares! The band should focus more on the fact that she just walked off for whatever reason it was, and such action should not be repeated in the future whether it was her any other member. I mean really people paid good money (ticket, transport and hotel if they were travelling) to be there.

The quoted posts actually sums up my opinion on this matter quite well.

Hope she'll recover or whatever you do in these situations and they'll be able to continue.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
16.11.2008 - 11:47
Princ_Of_Horror
HAHAHAHA!!
No the truth comes out
I really think Anette is causing more trouble for Nightwish then its really worth it. As a professional point of view they really should get rid of her for NWs fans dont like her..who are they gonna play for if all their fans turn their backs to 'em?!
16.11.2008 - 13:35
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
If it is truth, such a "fans" deserve to burn in hell...they can attend Tarja´s gig, if they love her so much

Princ_Of_Horror : with no offense to you - "fans" of Nightwish who dont like Anette really should piss off and slobber about Tarja´s solo album if they want...Anette had already proved he is good enough to be the proud part of NW and there are tons of fans who respect it and who even love Anette...besides i see no reflux of NW fans...vice versa there are many many new fans discovered NW through Dark Passion Play and the band propably wasnt so popular ever before like now is...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

16.11.2008 - 13:53
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Princ_Of_Horror on 16.11.2008 at 11:47

HAHAHAHA!!
No the truth comes out
I really think Anette is causing more trouble for Nightwish then its really worth it. As a professional point of view they really should get rid of her for NWs fans dont like her..who are they gonna play for if all their fans turn their backs to 'em?!

I'm a fan of NW and I DO like Anette...so your argument kinda fails
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
16.11.2008 - 13:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
GT, Thyrice, Baraley -
Like I sad in past it proves that moust fans go to show see woman whit brests and sexy legs , not listen muisc, why Arch Enemy get so many fans when Angela joun?
Also if Tarja's band play such metal like Nightwish do now, NW lost a lot of fans , I do not remeber well, but IMO there was not problems whit Iron maiden when Bruce left and Blaze joun in band

C'mon people get over it, why youi go to show that case? Dont go, go buy Tarja's poster and do whatever you want

But she done unfprofessional, left because of it sorry people imagie 40 000 paok fans insulte aris players 90 minutes whit rude replicts, stones, chairs, flairs and whatever, but thay do not leave stadion because of it

Sorry she's woman not 16 years old girl who's BF left her and now its end of work, I lost my love I will hang my self

One time its forgivven, but next time, next after next? because ewery where there someone can shout Traja, Tarja , Tarja , its like seing in GnR concerts banners ''Axl Try Me''
----

apos;'
[image]
16.11.2008 - 14:11
Enissa
Written by Demon Heart on 14.11.2008 at 08:27

Written by Enissa on 13.11.2008 at 16:07

Written by Demon Heart on 13.11.2008 at 02:39

What a mess, i feel really sorry for the brazilian fans, i'm so glad that i am not in their shoes, anyway , that was't good for proffesional, we should have known Tarja is much better than any other femail metal vocalist.

I agree
The professionals dont do this
she must have apologized to the fans
Thats aweful, I feel sorry for them & for the rest of the band
And people please, Just stop comparing Anette with Tarja!!!!
this has gone too far & Boring especially here, Anette's has feelings like anyone else

you know what?!! I am a big fan of nightwish, even after Tarja, and I didn't compare them, I said Tarja is the best female metal singer, she is better than averyone,
Anette is very good, but just imagine that you were in that concert, what would happne to you?
wasn't it so bad?

how about you calm down a lil bit?
I said first "I agree" i didnt comment on ur sayings, I totally agree with what u said, And Tarja is the best
and Im still a big fan of Nightwish, I just said that Anette could explain what happened, thats All!

Update:
So thats it!!!
There were people screaming tarja's name?
Thats aweful & shame on them to do gesture with middle thumb!!!!
I think Anette isnt the one to blame here.....
16.11.2008 - 16:11
The Black Halo
Its easy to sit here in the comfort of your home, posting on an online forum saying "if that were me" and "that was unprofessional." We're not the ones center stage, with all the pressure, all the lights, and a sea of fans at your feet badgering you and insulting you. Yes, we all knew something like this was going to happen. We all knew there would be backlash, there would be loyalists out there, and that some fans would just be pricks. But that doesnt make it easier.

I dont blame Anette. We're all human, its as simple as that. But I cant help but laugh at the blatant ignorance of these fans. If you REALLY want to express your distaste for the situation, and you REALLY want to focus your anger in the right direction, then go buy tickets to one of Tarja's solo shows, and give her the finger. She's the reason shes not in Nightwish anymore, not Anette.
----
~But I'll await my darkest hour
When the guilt doesn't get to me~
----------------------------------------
m/ m/ m/ m/ m/ m/ m/ m/
----------------------------------------
16.11.2008 - 16:21
Jigoku Shoujo
Account deleted
I just can't understand why would people go to a show (and pay for it) when they don't like it? That is just unbelievable stupid! And ruining the show for everyone else - for any reason one might have - is disgusting.

Hits total: 26073 | This month: 54