Metal Storm logo
Your personal Top10 Metal Songs

Original post

Posted by marinBG, 14.08.2006 - 14:24
Well, I think it would be cool if everyone had the chance to post their most favourite 10 metal songs. To keep it deverse - one song per artist. Also don't forget to include explanaitions for the songs you chose...

so here is mine (at least at the moment):

1. Children Of Bodom - Bodom After Midnight
This is the most difficult pick ever - I simply cannot pick my favourite COB song, since this is my alltime favourite band. I love the dynamics, I love the feeling, I love the vocals, I love the technicallity and I love the writing... for this is just the perfect music. Even the new album that tends to be a little bit new just plainly makes me happy when I hear it. Great stuff!

2. Lacuna Coil - Haeven's a lie
I love Lacuna Coil. And especially the more powerfull and catchy songs. For me Heaven's a lie is the anthem of a particular approach to metal that I hope will develom more and more. It has some great melodies, an amazing chorus and some great keyboards samples that simply make the music much more colorful and interesting at least for me (I play keyboards )

3. SlipKnot - My Plague (yes, I consider this metal)
Well, for me this song combines the two post difficult things to put together in metal. Melody and brutallity. I really like catchy stuff and the chorus is both vigourus, catchy and of course melodic. While the verse retains a very cool agressive brutal feel. And the nicest part of all it that the brutallity and the catchyness can ve felt troughout the whole song. Btw, I prefer the shorter version cause it's more to the point and more in your face basicly. And it's more radio-friendly as much as a song with growling in the verse can be and there's something I would like to note about SlipKnot's stuff. I don't think they are that untrue, because they are heavy as f**k. Actually it's most probably the heaviest and most agressive band on my list.

4. In Flames - Only for the weak
In Flames for me are just an awesome band and Clayman is one of my favourite albums ever (top 5 materisal basicly). An Only For The Weak is one of the coolest songs on the album. I'm not the biggest fan of the new In Flames stuff, but Clayman for me will probably always be the best gothenburg or melodic death metal (whatever you call it) albums ever. It is catchy, it is heavy, it has crunching guitar leads. What else could you possible want?

5. Metallica - One
Do I really need to explain. I love almost eveything about that song, from the music trough the inspiration for it to the story of it. For me it signifies the entrace of metal into the mainstream which for me is a cool thing. I think the more metal spreads the better. I would be gladly watching all of the bands on this list on MTV and reading how they earn tons of money, cause I belive they all (and not only them) deserve it more than Breatney Spears or Backstreet Boys. And there's something more. And aslo the music is so great. The verses are so emotional and well written... and the ending part just freakin kicks ass!!! Again, a great song combining emotions, bisicly lyrical music with really heavy stuff. Also this is probably the only Metallica solo (Kirk is one of the weakest guitarists ever!!!) that I really dig (may be also Nothing Else Matters), cause no matter that it's not so virtuoso it's just really well written. I also chose this song cause I wanted to have Metallica on the list and I was wandering what to choose. Cause they have both heavy songs and ballads. And both rock. So I picked One also beacause it fully represents them at their best (not like St.Anger which sucked)

6. Crematory - The Fallen
Just a perfect song. Nothig else to say Very cool keyboard melody. Great overall feel. Cool Melodic Verse and a really killer Chorus. That's it. And a cool tempo. I really dig this type of songs.

7. Amorphis - Crimson Wave
Another unique song. The whole album Am Universum for a very long time was one of my favourites. Some really catchy stuff on there. And in this particular song the thing that is sung over the opening riff (a bridge or a chorus probably... I don't really know with this a bit strange song structure) just makes me wanna jump around and headbang. And in addition to all the musical quality in this song, I also have some plainly personal reasons to love it

8. Nightwish - She is my sin
Well, we just need one more Finnish band in that list, huh I generally do not dig so much most of the stuff Nightwish do, but some of their songs are really really cool. And the coolest of them all is She is my sin. This song also helped me alongside Children Of Bodom to turn my mother into a metal aprechiator I really love the keyboards and the melody in this song. It just creates a great great feel for me. I like every single note that's in it and that is a very rare thing to happen with me. Especially with a song by Nightwish, cause didn't really like (and still don't) Tarja. No need to say that I was very happy when they kicked her out. I hope they find a singer that is not so operaic, so they can appeal to a larger audience and double the success they had with Once (which for me is thier strongest effort by far... it's just much more agressive and catchy than the older stuff.)

9. Soulfly - Seekin' Strike
Max Cavalera for me is among the greatest man of metal. Basicly godlike, despite the bunch of not so good songs he's done also especialy with Prophecy for example.. I love the way he writes his music and I really love his vocals. And this particular song just makes me wanna headbang and mosh in the most brutal pit possible.

10. Sepultura - Refuse/Resist
Well, the old Sepultura. What can you say... for me they are
a legend. And as I mentioned before Max is almost a God... And for me personally this is maybe thier coolest song (among others). I really dig everything about it, which all comes down to sheer brutallity. I love the mosh vibe Sepultura have to all thier stuff (I'm talking about the old Sepultura... I wouldn't mosh on Bullet the blue sky for example unless I really have to ). And also this is again a pretty personal song for me especially with the momorry of singing in on stage (on a totally inapropriate for that one) and scarying some jazz lovers and musicians out of the hall (yep, as I said, I generally play keyboards, but when my band needs someone to grawl it's usually me + Refuse/Resist doesn't really need keyboards anyway)
27.08.2006 - 20:19
Ernis
狼獾
10. Emperor - Decristallyzing Reason.....it just is the best song on IX Equilibrium....the melodical passages are wondrous and there is....some power in it all in all....

9. Mandragora Scream - Crow's Love....Morgan Lacroix's vocals are just too good.....very original....

8. Siebenbürgen - Nattskräcken.....this song is perfect....it makes you symphatize with it.....

7. Aesma Daeva - Lysander.....the medieval beginning, the catchy and rough aftermath and the crazy female vocals and the harpsichord solos make this song extremely enjoyable.....

6. Metsatöll - Hiiekoda....its in my native tongue, its lyrics are fine and the overall atmosphere it creates is sad, kodukootud(it sorta means homemade in Estonian...there is not an exact translation for it....homewoven perhaps...), maavillane(rustical...) anyhow....its a cosy song....

5. Macbeth - El Diablo y La Luna.....This is an overall positive song that loads with energy....and the guitar solo in the end....fading away is so nice....

4. Aes Dana - Manannan Mac Lir.....a great song with good pipe melodies and with the calling sounds of the sea in the end.....

3. Cruachan - Exiles.....the sad tale of Deirdre and Naoise in a fine black metal/folkish robe......

2. Beseech - Everytime I Die.....Lotta Höglin's singing abilities do not need any longer comments......everything is so....wonderful....

1. Borknagar - The Winterway......I just can't wait to get to my heaven with forests, cool winds, snowy mountains, great green plains.....this song just calls me to dream...I love it so much.....
01.09.2006 - 03:40
Bitch Boy
1. Metallica - "One"
No need to explain, right?? It's the perfect song. I love the solos, the drums, the riffs, the video, and mostly the lyrics. Actually I've got many different versions of One (studio, live at 94's Woodstock, S&M, Apocalyptica, Apocalyptica live, Korn). And it was because of One that Metallica earned their first Grammy.

2. Nightwish - "Dead boy's poem"
This song is perfect too. The lyrics, Tarja's voice, but mainly the boy's voice make this song be one of a kind.

3. Lost Horizon - "Heart of storm"
Since the very beginning of the song you can feel how powerful this band is. The lyrics are amazing, but the music is the best from the song, especially the drums and the bass.

4. Korn - "My gift to you"
Yep. I consider this as one of my favorite metal songs. The bagpipes intro, the strength of the song, Jonathan Davis crying out "can you feel the pain?". Korn's best song without a doubt.

5. Iced Earth - "I died for you"
Basically the lyrics and the final solo make this song a masterpiece, and the responsible for making Iced Earth one of my fav bands. I think I prefer the Alive in Athens performance than the Dark Saga one.

6. Symphony X - "Communion and the oracle"
Perfect combination of music and lyrics. A relaxing song, with slow but beautiful solos.

7. Dream Theater - "Fatal Tragedy"
My favorite guitar solo ever.

8. After Forever - "Beyond Me"
The entire atmosphere of the song is perfect. The chorus is the best.

9. Tool - "Parabol" & "Parabola"
The combination of both tracks.

10. Apocalyptica - "Hope (vol.2)"
My fav. Apocalyptica's instrumental are "Pray!" and the cover for "One", but the lyrics and Matthias Sayer's vocals make this song the very best from Apocalyptica.
01.09.2006 - 05:43
Windshear
Account deleted
1: Battery by Metallica
It just oozes metal. In every way. Riffs, solos, vocals, lyrics, etc.

2: Mouth for War by Pantera: It just has the coolest riffs of any Pantera song.

3:Dead Skin Mask by Slayer.
they get really cooler when they slow down. This is the best example.

4:Bleak by Opeth
When Mikael sings clean in this song, my life brightenes

5:I Won't Dance (The Elder's Orient) by Celtic Frost.
You know, I really don't know why this is my favourite Celktic Frost song. It's just awesome.

6:Why So Lonley by The 3rd and the Mortal
I fell in love with Kari when I heard her sing on this song. And the riffs are so beautiful.

7:Crystal Mountain by Death
The first Death song I've heard will always hold a special place in my heart.

8: A Thousand Lies by Machine Head
These riffs are why MH owned the mid 90's

9:Drink the Midnight Hymn by Virgin Black
Probably the coolest/darkest Christain song ever.

10:Galatea by Candlemass
A lot of people didn't like Candlemass when Messiah left, but Dalctylis and 13th Sun had really cool songs. This being my favourite non-Messiah song. (Solitude is close second)
01.09.2006 - 12:30
ironman2002
1. Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Really heavy, really metal, really Sabbath. Awesome song.

2. Motorhead - Ace Of Spades
What can I say? NWOBHM at it's rise, Lemmy at it's voice.. Motorhead with their best song!

3. Venom - Black Metal
Yeah, that's where the things became more exreme.

4. Metallica - Hit The Lights
Fuck the Sunset Strip glam! Metal 'till death!

5. Savatage - When The Crowds Are Gone
Ahh, what a ballad, god. Song contains amazing progressive elements, very melodic structure, superb lyrics together with Oliva's unique vocals. One of the best progressive songs ever made.

6. Metallica - Enter Sandman
It's hard to speak about this album overall. On the one hand, it's not a classic Metallica album, but on the other hand, it's the first thrash metal album achieved such a high status of commercial success and popularuty. I think an album became so famous because of amount of great metal songs and ballads. Enter Sandman among the best here.

7. Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine
In my opinion, this song has the best intro in whole rock genre. The lyrics are nice too. The performance of instruments and Axl deserve A+.

8. Carcass - Incarnated Solvent Abuse
I think the best subgenre of grindcore is death grind. Carcass don't think. They prove it.

9. At The Gates - Blinded By Fear
Superb melodic death composition. Sad and strange, but after this album (Slaughter Of The Soul) which is considered as their best, At The Gates disbanded.

10. Cradle Of Filth - Her Ghost In The Fog
I know that some guys don't really consider COF as BM band.. Whatever. I like this song.
02.09.2006 - 17:00
rebelos
Account deleted
1. Nevermore - The Heart Collector
what can i tell about this song... it is perfect!! a GREAT main riff and amazing melody combined with Warrell's vocals it makes it catchy, heavy, and amazing!!!!! and the melodical solo is simply amazing! a solo not just fast and technic but with passion and power in it

2. Rotting Christ - Exiled Archangels
the solo-riff that starts after the first minute is magnificant i could listen to it all day long
it has such an emotion and a power in it you wanna groove all night long!

3. In Flames - Embody The Invinsible
the greatest In Flames song ever! the beggining is my favorite! i love how Friden's vocals are combined so well with the music and the power that this song gives you! everytime i listen to it i feel very energetic!

4. Opeth - The Drapery Falls
the Opeth song that has everything IMO. depressive, fast, brutal and clean vocals, really everything that Opeth combine is in this song!

5. Windir - Todeswalzer
the keys in this song make me go nuts! i loooooooove that killer start riff! i wanna hear it again and again and again...

6. Emperor - With Strength I Burn
my personal favorite Emperor song, it has a great atmosphere and combined with the really expresive vocals it makes it killer

7. Pain Of Salvation - Beyond The Pale
again a song that combines everything that PoS ever stood for... it can be heavy and depressive. it has a great atmosphere and an amazing melody!

8. Moonspell - Full Moon Madness
this song let's u imagine that u are underneath a moon walking in a lonely street, i don't know... amazing atmosphere and it can be also very brutal at times

9. Nightwish - Ever Dream
i don't know why but this song allways touches me mentaly, i feel empty in the beggining cause it is really depresive but later it gets a bit heavy and i really looooove it

10. Psychotic Waltz - Lovestone Blind
this song IS progressive! the riffs are really weird and the chorus has a weird melody but i really like it!
the vocals are also amazing... like they are from the soul or some thing
03.09.2006 - 20:20
Jinx
Account deleted
1. Satyricon - Mother North : Loved it for years, it's got everything, it's epic, fast, great vocals & amazing drumming from Frost. Hearing it live cemented it as my favourite track. Also going to mention Scorn Torrent here too, another amazing Satyricon track.

2. Metallica - The Unforgiven : I love the earlier Metallica stuff but this song brings back so many memories of my school days and spending hours listening to my dad playing it on guitar in his bedroom, i love the guitar work, the vocals, the lyrics..everything.

3. Behemoth - As Above, So Below : Again it's got everything i love, brutal pace, amazing vocals and and epic song.

4. Burzum - Lost Wisdom : My favourite Burzum track, it's such a spine-chilling song..the music and vocals stop me and make me listen everytime i hear it.

5. In Flames - Only for the Weak : Guitar work on this track is brilliant, it's so catchy and adds so much to the song, my favourite In Flames track.

6. Rammstein - Tier : Just for pure enjoyment, musically i love it and the lyrics are so misleading for an upbeat track.

7. 1349 - Chasing Dragons : Pure Brilliance, Frost on one of his best tracks IMO.

8. Bathory - Man of Iron : Weird choice i know but Quorthons vocals are beautiful and it's a relaxing song to listen to

9. Emperor - Wrath of the Tyrant : I cant explain why i love this song so much but it's one that gets played daily and the music always cheers me up for some reason.

10. Children of Bodom - Everytime i Die : I know it's the most mainstream-ish song they've done because everyone knows it but i love Alexi's riffs on it and it's just a great song to sing along to when you see them live.
03.09.2006 - 22:44
Sunioj
1. Nile - stones of Sorrow
Just got into in the catacombs of nephrum ka, awesome!

2. Kalmah - Evil in you
Catchiest song, best song structure, ever!

3. COB - Black widow
Cathiest COB song IMO

4. Death - Misanthrope
Brutal song, I practice this song on my bass all the frikkin time, it really builds stamina.

5. Vomitory - Retribution
Brutal, Heavy, good ol' school death metal.

6. Dissection - Nights blood
Amazing, spiritualistic song, I remember Jon spirit in this insane song

7. Dismember - Soon to be dead
Great old school song, very brutal, harsh words, and very convincing music..

8. Morbid Angel - Rapture
The Godfather of Death metal, this song should define DM in general.

9. Slayer - Dittohead
Cathciest slayer song, great hard hitting lyrics and insane song structure.

10. Behemoth - No sympathy for fools
Most underrated song for behemoth ever, love this song more than slaves shall serve.
05.09.2006 - 05:46
Nickwillnotbe
Eh... this is gonna be kinda hard so I'll try and post songs that have more of a timeless quality to them.

Agalloch-In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion:
This song is just so damn epic, I love it.

Anathema-Angelica:
Not really much I can say, I LOVE the opening vocals on this song.

Beyond Dawn-Daughter Sunday:
Creates a genuine feeling of melancholy and reflection.

Esoteric-Creation (Through Destruction)
If despair had a sound, this would be it.

Forest of Shadows-Wish
Where Dreams Turn to Dust <3

Gathering, The-Sand and Mercury
I love the alternating heaviness and atmospheric interludes. It is great.

Katatonia-Deadhouse
Another one of those songs that has such a desperate feel to it.

Monolithe-I
52 minutes of very dreamy funeral doom.

Pelican-Drought
Wave after wave of heaviness.

Type O Negative-Love You to Death
This was the first song I heard by ToN and it is still my favorite.
05.09.2006 - 09:59
dark awakening
Actually are:

Feast Of Burden- Dark Tranquillity
(catchy riffs, the greatest song of my fav album)

At THe Heart Of Winter - Immortal
(Great atmospheres, catchy solo, mighty lyrics)

Metropolis pt1 - Dream Theater
(One of the greatest prog song ever, early DT)

Nymphetamine - Cradle Of Filth
(the song that introduced me to this band, great atmosphere and lyrics)

The Pharaoh Sails To Orion - Nightwish
(When the bass was really speed, Tarja was simply great ; catchy atmosphere created by keyboards)

Moonshield - In Flames
(Great acoustic intro, catchy melodic stuff: The Jester Race )

Bleak - Opeth
(Great change of voices, two chorus and catchy riffs)

Black Rose Immortal - Opeth
(Simply a poem; all is beautiful)

Arch Enemy - Dead Eyes See No Future
(Angela sang in a catchy way, Michael and Chris always great!)

Metallica - Fade To Black
(Hell of a song! Great intro and lyrics, nice chorus)
----
Baptized in a lake of acid tears...
14.09.2006 - 06:22
jadawal
going to be hard to choose, in no paticular order here's the ones i can think of now

1. Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness - Obviously, haha. Best song ever made if you like anything that has to do with metal.

2. Quo Vadis - Silence Calls the Storm - One of the best songs from the best canadian band around.

3. Anything thats good.

got too lazy in the end there, fuck
14.09.2006 - 11:25
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
There are so many great metal songs, it would be easier to choose a top 100, but anyway, in no particular order:

1--My Last Serenade-- by Killswitch Engage - great song with fast riffs, slow melodic chorus, great metal song

2--Lake Bodom-- by Children of Bodom - one of my favourite COB songs, though it was a hard choice. Great riffs, solos, everything.

3--Honor Thy Father-- by Dream Theater - a lot of people would disagree with this one, but this is one of my all time favourites.

4--Hunting Song-- by Korpiklaani - A catchy tune that im obsessed with at this point in time.

5--Master of Puppets-- by Metallica - i had to choose something from Metallica, it could have been anything from their first 5 album, but MOP rocks!!!

6--Full Moon-- by Sonata Arctica - Great song that im also quite obsessed with at the moment.

7--Angel of Death-- by Slayer - Speedy riffs, racing solos, all you need to make an awesome metal song.

8--Back in Black-- by AC/DC - just perfect, no need to explain.

9--Seemingly Endless Time-- by Death Angel - Great song that gets addictive if you listen to it too much.

10--The Haunting-- by Testament - I've just bought one of their albums and i love the song.

i think the fact that you go through stages in music definately alters this current list.

anyways there it is
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
25.09.2006 - 19:03
Tydirium
Account deleted
(they are not in any order)

01 Dream Theater -- Metropolis Pt.1
(one of the greatest songs they ever wrote and finally on there new live dvd "Score")

02 Gun's'Roses -- November Rain
(although it's more Hard Rock then Metal, this ballad is one the most feeling songs ever!)

03 Children of Bodom -- Mask Of Sanity
(to my mind the greatest song - but underestimated - on their greatest album. it's a pity
that they never played it live when I joined their show)

04 Metallica -- Trapped Under Ice
(I like this very fast song from Ride the Lightning and think it's underestimated, too. one
of the few realy hard and fast thrash songs they have!)

05 Jerry C. -- Canon Rock
(Jerry C's arrangement of Johan Pachelbel's classic Canon in D Minor is a fuckin' great ins-
trumental song and since the first day I saw this song on YouTube.com I had to practise
it till I was able to play the whole song...)

06 Blind Guardian -- The Bard's Song
(there are a few bands which have similar songs with an atmosphere that is unbelievable)

07 Iron Maiden -- Wrathchild
(was the first Metal song i ever listened to and I still love it. one of the greatest songs of
the older Iron Maiden stuff)

08 Dio -- Holy Diver
(one of the most important songs in the history of heavy metal. since i saw dio live for the
first time this song has bedazzled me and i love it!)

09 Iron Maiden -- Hallowed be thy Name
(to my mind the greatest song they ever wrote!)

10 Iced Earth -- Dante's Inferno
(i like the song because in thrash metal, no other band ever made the choice to write a really
long and complexe song. This one is 16 mins. long and a very important work of Iced Earth)
28.09.2006 - 05:25
Immortal Plague
Bloodshedder
1. Impetigo - I Work For the Streetcleaner
Awesome song, my favorite old school death metal song.

2. Dying Fetus - Grotesque Impalement
I have heard this song so many times and never get bored of it, and its so amazing and so brutal.

3. Lord Gore - Rape Camp
A really funny intro and is an awesome song, and has INSANE vocals, and is just overall awesome.

4. Necrophagist - Foul Body Autopsy
Insane song, insane vocals, even more insane riffs, i dont know how the hell muhammed wrote it by himself.

5. Vader - Wings
Its a really cool song, and my band played it in our first show ever.

6. Cannibal Corpse - Hammer Smashed Face
My Favorite Corpse song for sure, and i have been listening to it for a while, and also played it live with my band for the first time, and i just LOVE the bass solo.

7. Rompeprop - Cuntlava
Its such an awesome song, and its so unique, its amazing, without a doubt, people think the vocals are stupid their not their diffrent and awsome.

8. Satyricon - Mother North
This one of me and my girlfriends songs, its special to us, reminds us of when we first went out, and is awesome.

9. Emperor - I Am The Black Wizards
Another one of me and my girlfriends songs, reminds us of our early days of going out, and i also learned to play this for her.

10. The Berzerker - No One Wins
Can you give me a reason against this song?
28.09.2006 - 08:24
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Immortal Plague on 28.09.2006 at 05:25

I have heard this song so many times and never get bored of it, and its so amazing and so brutal.

Yeah man, that song is fucken awesome. I don't remember what my top 10 was, but that song should be on it.
29.09.2006 - 01:02
Revenant
Account deleted
Current favourites in no order:

1. Amon Amarth - Pursuit of vikings
The ultimate masculine, adrenaline inducing, headbanging song. It make sme want to grab a sword and smash some skulls like no other song.

2. Nightwish - Ever Dream
Incredibly beautiful anthem to lust and love, despite the poor production. Bring tears to my eyes.

3. Iron Maiden - Paschendale
Incredibly epic, atmospheric and tragic and full of wonderufll riffs and Bruce sings his best

4. Immortal - At the Heart of Winter
Icy atmosphere at its best

5. Opeth - To Bid you Farewell
Every note is full of understated feeling untill it all spills out int he distorted part, completely overwhelms me with emotion

6. Rhapsody - Dawn of victory
Even better than emerald Sword IMO for a sing along sword swinging power metal anthem

7. Tristania - Tender Trip on Earth
Hard to chose a faovurite of this band but this song is so dreamy and beautiful

8. Moonsorrow - Jotunheim
Vast and epic in every way, the black metal vocals are so desperate and hatefull yet somehow beautiful, and the choir is so addictive and dreamy

9. Kamelot - Karma
So epic and atmospheric and wonderfull, it's hard to describe the genius of this song but it's there

10. Theatre of Tragedy - A Distance There is
There is so much loneliness and sadness in this song, one of the msot touching and beautiful things I've ever heard

There should be Finntroll and Blind Guardian in here but I cant chose individual songs.
29.09.2006 - 03:16
Immortal Plague
Bloodshedder
Written by Dangerboner on 28.09.2006 at 08:24

Written by Immortal Plague on 28.09.2006 at 05:25

Yeah man, that song is fucken awesome. I don't remember what my top 10 was, but that song should be on it.

It is an awsome song, and my band is actually covering it at our next show, its gonna se awesome.
29.09.2006 - 05:08
Streetcleaner
Account deleted
Primordial - "The Gathering Wilderness"

my favourite song... blood-chilling atmosphere, emotioning lyrics, a corrosive riff and well, this must be one of the most painful, yet strong tracks ever. A dark metal masterpiece.

Burzum - "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss"

This song cuts my skin like a razor of ice... that's all I have to say

Poema Arcanus - "Female Poison"

My favourite romantic Metal song... this fellow countrymen of mine are brilliant creating touching soudscapes and lyrics... The clean vocals here are awesome.

Sunn O))) - "Báthory Érszebet"

I'm one of those who think that "Black One" is the best Sunn album, and this song represents all its terrifying force.

Oprhaned Land - "Thee By The Father I pray"

Mystical, religious Metal as its best. The bliss, the middle-eastern elements and the beautiful melody/lyrics make this track a total killer!

Deinonychus - "This, A Murder Of Crows"

A fucked-off song

[b]Shape Of Despair - "To Live For My Death"

Ceremonial haunting beauty

Pantheist - "Pavor Nocturnus"

The heaviest by Pantheist, a Funeral Doom mastodon that will erase you under its weight.

Mar De Grises - "Storm"

A dreamful journey to subtle yet scary musical soundscapes.

Beherit - "The Gate Of Nanna"

fucked-off distorted booze-inspired Black Metal from the artic circle
23.12.2006 - 08:16
Soliloquy
humm..interesting...i dont know all too many bands, but lets see what i can pull up:

1- The Gathering: Sand And Mercury
the gathering were one of the first metal bands that got me into metal. and at the same time, they WERE the first band to get me into growls. not that i am a BIG fan of growls, but from time to time, i enjoy em. this song just blew me away. soemthing i was not expecting from 'just another song'. the song is a 10 minute epic with really emotional lyrics, kick ass solo(that is simple, but still kick ass), awsome rhythm, atmoshphere, and it ends with tolken from lord of the rings talking about his book. classic song!

3- Green Carnation: Light of Day, Day of Darkness
before metal came into my life, the longest song i knew, and loved was 'novembre rain' by Guns N Roses. this song by green carnation completly out did anything ive heard before. an hour long bliss with some really amazing lyrics that talk about life, death, after death, rebirth, and tons of other things. with some solos that arent too common in any musical genre. i mean, one song to have a trumpet, sitar(with tabla), soprano female vocalist, acousitc guitar, electric guitar, drums, and some weird effects done on keys. all solos neatly placed in 1 hour. and the atmosphere in the song can put someone in deep depression, and also bliss, all at once. a strange, yet divine song.

3-Haggard: Awakening the Centuries
i knew i had some interest in classical music. but i often got bored of its vast size. i mean, there is mozart, beethoven, orff, grieg, bach who dominate the classical music...but then who else is there? each composer comming up with realy amazing music, yet so many of em, where does one start? haggard helped me out with that, sort of. first time i heard classical music mixed with metal music, and this bone shattering male growls. not only did this band make me fall in love iwth growls, but also with classical music. and i believe this was the first band i found who had some concept behind thier albums. the song, yet another 10 minute classic that talks about Nostredamus, and his prediction on "Hister". the lyrics are meaningful. and they jump from german to english. the song also has some simple, yet emotional piano solos. its classical orchestra being preformed with violin, cello, violas, flutes, pianos, and acoustic guitar not only give the song a classical touch, but also a folk touch.

4-Theatre Of Tragedy: on whom the moon doth shine
this song was my main inspiration for writing this huge poem. not only did the music's beauty and the beast theme amaze me, but the bands archiac lyrics left me speachless. beautiful poetry that, at times, pre-dates shakespearian english, can indeed make it hard to understand. but that, in its self, becomes beautiful. coz each and every person who reads their lyrics, pictures a different story. pity, the band had to ditch its beautiful lyrics, to adapt more common stuff.

5-Trans-Siberian Orchestra- The Dark
picking this song was acutally hard. and this band should have been higher, but picking a 'best' song by these guys is a serious pain. the reason why i picked this song was mainly coz of its solo. again, nothing too complicated, but everything the band creates becomes a masterpiece; simply becuase the band has members from Megadeth, Savatage, Jon Oliva's Pain.... and the list goes on and on. this band is often over looked by people, yet they are also one of the more successful bands to make up concept albums.

6-XJapan-Art Of Life
yet another REALLY LONG SONG that has fallen into my favorites. this song ticks in at about 34 minutes(live version). the song, just like all other songs perviously listed, has soemthing 'classical' to it. the song starts off with a piano solo. has another 10 minute piano solo in the middle, and some of the riffs/solos are using classical scales. lyrics talk about life, death, beauty, suicide. what really impressed me in this song is their drummer. lasting that fucking lock on drums must be an insane workout.

7-Sirenia-Seven Sirens and a Silver Tear
not exactly sure what the conncetion between the name and the song is, but the song is a piano master piece. no vocals, or atleast no sung words. just a really eere choir in the background. the song mainly uses a piano. no other instrument. the piano is really emotional, and nothing too technical like that of Mozart. but obviously, mozart's skills cant really be matched. just another song you can have in the background that can be like a lullaby, or just a song to be played when you really need to think/study etc. really impressive song.

8-Shape Of Despair- Angels Of Distress
moving a little away from the classical songs, and more towards doom. the lyrics of the song, in my opinion are below average. lots of gramatical and spelling errors. how ever, the idea behind the lyrics is intreguing. the music, epical, and yet depressing.

other songs that should be there:

Draconian: death, come near me
Aesma Daeva: Artemies
Vai: For the Love of God
Therion: literally, any song by em!
Midnattsol: Tapt Av Hap
The Sins Of Thy Beloved: the things that should not be(that violin solo!)
Lalu:pot boy(yet another long song..ahah)
Tristania:wormwood
Nightwish:dead boy's poem

and bunch of others...but since its 2 in the morning..i dont feel like typing
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
25.12.2006 - 17:28
Sunioj
Right now my favorite songs are:

1. Decapitated - eye of horus
2. Behemoth - lam
3. Dismember - Soon to be dead
4. Vomitory - the holocaust
5. Catamenia - Kuolon Tanssi
6. Eternal tears of sorrow - prophetian
7. Hypocrisy - Burn by the cross
8. Emperor - Cosmic Keys to my creation
9. Kalmah - mindrust
10. Dio - stand up and shout
26.12.2006 - 00:18
Ultraraw
Account deleted
1.Metallica "The Unforgiven" really well-done Metallica song that has a pretty catchy melody and some nice guitar work 2.Iron Maiden "Different World" the greatest Iron Maiden song ever 3.Slayer "Scrum" totaly heavy,great song 4.Burzum "Dunkelheit" This is not music,this is art 5.Judas Priest "Painkiller" very aggresive and powerful.This Painkiller kills all pains 6.Katatonia "Murder" the best doom/death metal song 7.Him "In Joy and Sorrow" my favorite Him song 8.Metallica "Notting Else Matters" some really cool vocals harmonies,and the guitar solo is very well-done 9.Napalm Death "Prelude" very catchy song
08.01.2007 - 08:52
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
i could say a lot but my really favorites are (not in order)

1 - Dream Theater - A Change Of Seasons
2 - Symphony X - The Divine Wings Of Tragedy
3 - Dream Theater - Learning To Live
4 - Dream Theater - Under A Glass Moon
5 - Dream Theater - Metropolis pt 1
6 - Angra - Time
7 - Blind Guardian - Banish From Sanctuary
8 - After Forever - My Pledge Of Allegiance 2
9 - Children Of Bodom - Kissing The Shadows
10 - Opeth - The Moor

as you see i love good long tracks hehe
dream theater made amazing good metal songs on images and words , i also love th divine wings of tragedy, from symhpony x ,a band with a high Dream theater influence

Time is my favorite angra song i just love every part of the song, andre is awesome he is the best singer ever, and he is also great composer

Banish From Sanctuary is Thrashy speed power amazing masterpiece , Blind Gurdian was for me even more amazing on the 80's and early 90's anyway i love all their stuff , i like a lot the chorus of this song in particular

Children of Bodom made amazing 3 albums and Kissing The shadows is my favorite song of them not just because the solos but the vocals and the feeling of this song is a lot more evil and mature

After Forever's Pledge of allegiance 2 is the best gothic song i ever hear it starts like a gothic song and then it transform like Extreme Power Gothic MONSTER!!! this is the best gothic song for me

Opeth - The Moor , Need to say something?? Mikael is Both An Angel And A Demon, Opeth's Music goes STRAIGHT TO THE HEART!!! like Dio Said hehe
----
Stay Metal !!!
20.01.2007 - 14:23
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Written by Sunioj on 25.12.2006 at 17:28

Right now my favorite songs are:

2. Behemoth - lam

7. Hypocrisy - Burn by the cross
8. Emperor - Cosmic Keys to my creation

I missed them out in my list posted previously.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
21.01.2007 - 16:07
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Well its quite tough to pick ten songs that will stand the test of time but will do my best. Hopefully can look back at it later and say the same list is still my best (doubt it)..

1.Gaahlskagg - Skullfuck
This is one of those songs which I have been raving about recently. This comes off the album Erotic Funeral and is one of those raw extreme tracks which blow your mind at the start of the album itself(second song actually). Gaahl's vocals are amazing on this one and made me a true fan. His vocals are screeching, brutal and demonic on this track. It's like one of those raw anthems..

2.Silencer - Death-Pierce Me
This song comes off the album Death, Pierce Me. This is one of the sickest and most disturbing tracks I have ever had the opportunity to hear. It starts off like an into with a bit of keyboard work which is commendable and sets you into a kind of hypnotic daze before suddenly the most insane and disturbing scream slices through the tantric melody. The vocals continue in a high pitched scream which is similar to Varg Vikernes but only much more insane sounding. The vocalist was institutionalized after creating this album and listening to this track makes it obvious why..

3.Burzum - Black Spell of Destruction
This is one of those early Burzum songs that will never die. I have heard so many covers of this song over the years but none of them ever live up to the original. This is an evil incantation remeniscent of a curse which will deliver hell on earth with the hekp of the Gods. Its melancholic and manic depressive with hypnotic yet catchy riffs and ferral screams. A slow killer..

4.Darkthrone - In The Shadow of the Horns
One of the first album's I've heard from this great band, A Blaze In The Northern Sky was like a wonder of the world at that time. This track however is one of those which will stay with me for a very long time. The continous repetitive genius of this song is spellbinding and will make you headbang to its hypnotic rhythm. Definitely one for the ages..

5.Satyricon - Dark Medival Times
It was quite a big decision about which of Satyricon's songs to include in this. This track is the one which I've heard the most from the lot however and its amazing mixtures of medival instruments and atmosphere was captivating from the begining. I actually quit smoking and I never get an urge unless I listen to this song. Amazing atmosphere which hypnotizes you and brings back old evil memories..

6.Graveland - Blood of Christians on My Sword
Have been into this album(Thousand Swords) a lot recently and this song is what makes this album so impressive. It's epic and dominating riffs are among the best around with sudden changes in pace and atmosphere.

7.Gorgoroth - Maaneskyggens Slave
This track is the last track off the infamous album Pentagram by Gorgoroth. Its quite short but it has an amazing display by Infernus who is really awesome in this track. What a way to finish off a terrific album. Another one for the ages. Hat and Samoth too are great in this.. Was thinking about Profetens Åpenbaring as well but decided to stick with this one as it was my first Gorgoroth album and meant quite a lot more.

8.Blut Aus Nord - Procession of the Dead Clowns
This is taken off the impressive album "The Work Which Transforms God". This song has amazing riffs and showcases the real quality of the guitars. Somewhat a different track compared to the others in the list but its quite captivating. This album as a whole is quite a different one compared to the rest of the stuff out there.. I hope this song will last the test of time..

9.Dimmu Borgir - Alt Lys Er Svunnet Hen
For All Tid and Stormblåst are two of the best albums this band has released. This track is the first track off the album Stormblåst. Their newer stuff can't really keep up with this stuff. Very unique and brilliant track. Slow moving with keyboards before the Black Metal bits start.

10.Mayhem - Necrolust
Another tough decision on which to include from this band there are so many. I just love the opening riffs on this one. The rest of the song is quite fast-paced and killer..

Mostly I prefer full albums to individual tracks but oh well songs vice I think this is it..
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
25.01.2007 - 12:41
APOHAKC
The Bard
This is some kind of mine all time list:
1.Emperor - Night Of The Graveless Souls
2.My Dying Bride - Your Shameful Heaven
3.Cradle Of Filth - Dusk And Her Embrance
4.Helloween - Cry For Freedom
5.Slayer - Angel Of Death
6.Megadeth - Rattlehead
7.Grave Digger - Lionheart
8.Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast
9.Mercyful Fate - Come To The Sabbath
10.King Diamond - Welcome Home

And this is what are my temporary favorite songs:
1.The Love Crave - Vampires
2.Sykdom - I am God
3.Wotan - Under The Sign Of Odin's Raven
4.Valhalla - Sword Of My Father
5.Doomsword - For Those Who Died With Sword In Hand
6.Falkenbach - Heathenpride
7.Bucovina - Strasnic Neamul Meu
8.Summoning - Land Of The Dead
9.Wizard - Witch Of The Enchanted Forest
10.Grave Digger - The Terrible One
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
25.01.2007 - 15:20
Sunioj
My new obsessions

1. Emperor - Curse all you men
2. Entombed - Chief Rebel Angel
3. Behemoth - No sympathy for fools
4. Mayhem - freezing moon
5. Hypocrisy - fusion programmed minds
6. Nightrage - feeling nothing
7. Morbid Angel - World of shit
8. Spawn of Possession - Dead and Grotesque
9. Necrophagist - Foul body autopsy
10. Satyricon - Min Hyllest Til Vinterland
25.01.2007 - 15:53
baldur
1. Amon Amarth - Death in Fire
2. AC/DC - aint no fun (waiting round to be a millionaire)
3. Blind Guardian - Bright Eyes
4. Dimmu Borgir - Vredesbyrd
5. Demons & Wizards - loves tragidy asunder
6. Kalmah - Moon of my Nights
7. Machine Head - Imperium
8. Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast
9. Opeth - the grand conjuration
10. Vintersorg - Till Fjalls
27.01.2007 - 07:48
Arrwyn
1. Eccentric (orchestra version) - After Forever
2. Angina - Tristania
3. Elements - Lunatica
4. Angel in the Dark - Nemesea
5. Fall of Man - Eternal Tears of Sorrow
6. Anger - Elis
7. The Most Beautiful Place - Edenbridge
8. ...As long as the Winds Will Blow - Falkenbach
9. Beautiful Emptiness - After Forever
10. Beyond the Veil - Tristania
27.01.2007 - 21:39
FabricationError
Account deleted
01 - Pantera - Cemetery Gates
02 - Slayer - War Ensemble
03 - Testament - Souls of Black
04 - Quo Vadis - Dysgenics
05 - Atheist - Unholy War
06 - Behemoth - Natural Born Philosopher
07 - Dies Irae - Hunger
08 - Neuraxis - Thought Adjuster
09 - Control Denied - Consumed
10 - Napalm Death - Silence is Deafening
30.01.2007 - 10:20
Larsson!
Account deleted
I can't say which songs are my top ten favorites now, it changes all the time. So if I say some songs today, it might be completely different songs tomorrow.
30.01.2007 - 10:37
darksun
1.Iron Maiden-Children of the damned
2.Iron Maiden-Fear of the dark
3.Slayer-Angel of death
4.Slayer-silent scream
5.Sentenced-Cross my heart and hope to die
6.Sentenced-Fragile
7.Dio&Malmsteen-Dream on(i know it belongs to aerosmith but he takes the song to sky)
8.Stratovarius-Coming home
9.Stratovarius-When the night meets the day
10.Testament-Disciples of the watch
----
Dark is the sunlight,we cast the life together
Dark is the sunlight or I'm blind forever..